Tuesday, July 19, 2005

OH MY GAWD!!! I JUST GOT SOLICITED FOR SEX


Do I look like a Hooker?



The strangest thing happened this morning and considering I live in a twisted bubble of my own, i am not sure if i should be flattered or offended. Actually, i am more offended than flattered, because there are less crass ways of telling a woman she has your pants on fire.
My roommate Desmina posted her furniture for sale and this randy hell's angel looking man was interested, she sent him to the house and asked me to show him the couch. The man cam and i guess i distracted him from paying attention to the couch that he came to buy. He was just looking at it like the couch was diseased, mean while i am trying to sell the damn couch by telling him how and where it was bought and who owned it and for how long. Then he was like the fabric is kinda faded so he'll have to think about it. I was like ok, think about it quickly because we will be sending it to charity on Friday. He was like ok, he'll call and let us know. Then he was like 'You wanna make some cash yourself?'. Clueless and dumbfreaking me, I had my Shirley Temple smile and i was like 'What do you mean?' and he winked and bit his lower lip saying, 'You know what I mean, some sex.' My eyes popped out of my head and shot straight for the door and the nearest weapon looking thing, which was a broken umbrella and I was like 'No thanks.' Meanwhile, i am stealthedly walking towards the door and fluffing the couch just incase he had any ideas to go run and lock the door. Then he was like, 'Ok just thought I'ld ask.' In my head, I am thinking, 'what a question to ask, idiot man biko buy the couch or gerrout.' Then he headed towards the door and was like I hope i did not offend you, and I was like 'You did but goodbye.' At that moment, i locked and BOLTED the door and screamed on top of my head. So disgusting, what the heck did he take me for and what did i look like to him. Then again, thinking of it now, i should have engaged him longer just to find out how much he was trying to pay, what worth he was placing on me and what kinda se he was asking for, just for kicks, but seeing as i was alone at home, my safety was more important than the laughs i would get from that conversation. I mean he could have just asked me if i had a boyfriend and he would have sent the same message, but to come outrightly and ask me for SEX? As in may 'Amadioha break his head ten times'...Foolish man. I never envisioned something like this ever happening to me, i have been hit on by both men and women, but never offered money for sex. So the question to you guys is how would you feel if that happened to you? Would you feel flattered or insulted? Perhaps that was just an ignorant person's way of telling you you were hot or you ain't good for nothing else? And what would you do in that situation had escalated? Lord knows this has shaken my 'innocence', this will have me thinking if every man who is looking at me is thinking about me in those terms or really cares about what i have to say. May be if i wasn't wearing this stupid lingerie looking tank tops they have these days, i would have looked like a regular Jane Smith. But would that have made a difference?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is extremely offensive. For a man to see you and automatically assume that you are a woman who may be willing to accept money for sexual favors is absolutely astonishing to me. It just reminds me of the fact that all too often African American women are so highly sexualized. No matter what you were wearing, he had no right to make such a comment. Imagine if a black male was to make the same comment(or perhaps even something a bit less offensive) to a young white female. That would certainly make the evening news and probably much more. What a world we live in...

Ndidi

Adaure Achumba said...

Last night i filed an incident report with the Chapel Hill Police. I had the man's name and his email address. Not that anything would really help, but it sort of gives me peace of mind and the feeling that i have done something about it.... You know, that "the police is your friend" kinda feeling that makes you safe. Yah... I guess I feel safer.

PS. I know there are some hatorade drinking people in my village praying and wishing for me to become a prostitute in this America. All of them are just mad and if this is their aim...hmh.... it will never work for them. I return their evil wishes back to sender with love... it is their children that will become 'ashewos'. Foolish nonsense people. As for the man himself, he picked the wrong 'african-american', just that i am a christian (and i know i just sinned by cursing...God forgive me), if not I would have taken his name to 'Iyi-Agu' and he would be looking for 'little Jimmy' (and his name is Jim)by now. He is very lucky Jesus died on the Cross, so I will wish him to be delivered from his stupdity

Anonymous said...

My sister sofry sofry o.. His comment was definitely way out of line. Makes you wonder if its really "couch" he came to buy.

Anonymous said...

Adaure, Ndo!

Nneka's World said...

Sorry my dear oh. Its a shame what the world is turning into when some one comes to your house to buy chair and wants "extra" as well. Abeg take heart

Olawunmi said...

well!!! that was bang out of order. i had no idea that people would just proposition random strangers for sex without at least making certain that they were into that sort of thing. he must have figured you guys were desperate for cash, hence you were selling your furniture, and he figured he could capitalise on it.

what a predator. glad you got out of that one untouched.

peace